Britannia Square House Histories


45 Britannia Square




BRITANNIA SQUARE – The Icing on Worcester's Cake
A POTTED HISTORY of Number 45 a.k.a. NORTH LODGE

PLANS The local Map of 1822 shows a detailed map of the Prison in Salt Lane (now Castle Street) but only five properties on the East side of a developing Britannia Square. The West side has no detail and The North and South sides are detailed in plot numbers only.

No. 45 is identified by its shape alone on the NE corner.

By 1832 a comparable map shows the outline of a building on plot 45. Over 50 years later the 1888 large scale map indicates a significant extension to No 45 at the North end of the building beyond the ground and first floor bay windows. The Square is by now fully developed.

RESIDENTS of No. 45

Names taken from papers passed from owner to owner - with no certainty that the history is complete:

1830 December - John Dickens sold a plot of land to Elizabeth Best

1839 April - Thomas Best sold No 45, now a house. to Elizabeth Harris

1856 June - The Misses Harris sold to Miss Mence

1861 April - Miss Mence sold to Richard Mence No evidence of likely change/s for 60 years

1921 April - James Sheppard sold to Oscar Bevington

1949 December - Trustees of Estate of Oscar Bevington to Mrs E Bevington 1954 February - Eva Bevington to Mr & Mrs Wm Baber

1957 August - Mr & Mrs Wm Baber to Henry Smith

1968 May - Henry Smith sold to Mrs Mollie Isobel Anderson

1980 March - Isobel Anderson sold to the current owners

MISCELLANEOUS Information

Mr Bevington was a Director of Worcester Paper Box, moving from 18 Albany Terrace.

In May 1917 No 45 was “...insured by Royal Exchange Assurance for £1540 at an annual premium of £1 3s 3d" 

21st June 2015

Forthcoming Events

Supported by:

 

Website designed by Robin Dallaway